Now that I have a specific plan of action for my GAME plan,
it is time to take action and get rolling.
In regards to my first goal, it is a little hard to take action until
the school year gets rolling. I am also
anxiously anticipating a meeting in August where we will discuss the changes in
our curriculum that has been mapped out by other teachers, so I cannot work too
far ahead until these changes are rolled out.
I did however, join a learning community and read some articles on
Edutopia to discuss with other teachers about the success (and challenges of
implementing project-based learning) with young learners. The article that I read included examples
about building buildings, looking at the stock market, plants, etc. (Ravitz,
2013). By reading these ideas, it is
easier to foresee project-based learning come to life in my classroom. However, I do see one difficulty in
implementing PBL in my classroom.
Ellwood (2009) describes project-based learning as never having a hard
start and beginning to subject areas, instead, hitting all content areas
through the use of a project. This
becomes difficult for me because I have different groups of students for
reading and mathematics, depending on their needs.
If you are interested in following the blog for project-based
learning at Edutopia, the link is http://www.edutopia.org/blogs/beat/project-based-learning
For the second part of my GAME plan, I have begun major
overhaul on my web-site and organized games and resources according to their
objectives. You can see my work in
progress here:
I am still in the process in uploading resources, and will
continue to do so throughout the year as I engage in some other units of
study. While this has been time
consuming, I am pleased with the look of it and think it will be a great
resource for my students. One of the
major blocks I have faced in the past is that a lot of educational sites
organize their resources by grade level.
Since many of my students are at least 2-3 years below grade level, they
almost always end up in games that are too difficult for them.
The one area I am still playing around with is the links to
the other pages. I don’t want a ton of
information on my home page, but I would like the links to the other pages
(LEAD 21 Reading, Mathematics, and Reading) at this point in time to be more
prominent. I am thinking about adding
them underneath the video.
I am also having difficulty with the video on the first page—it
use to be a picture tour of my room and
when I started deleting and adding things it malfunctioned. However, I will update it once I get my
classroom in order this year, since it will look different from last.
The final area I would love to add is a place to feature
student work. However, I’m unsure of my
district’s policy on posting work (and/or pictures of students) online, so that
is still on my to-do list for now.
I would love it if you took the time to visit my site and
provide feedback. As I mentioned before,
it is under construction so now is the best time for me to rearrange. Thanks!
References:
Ellwood, H. (2009, November). Project-based learning with early learners
and SMART products. EDCompass Newsletter, p. 1-4.
Ravitz, J. (2013, March 27).
Math, PBS and 21st Century learning for all students. [Blog message]. Retrieved from http://www.edutopia.org/blog/math-PBL-21st-century-learning-jason-ravitz
Kara,
ReplyDeleteEven though you have not been able to work too far ahead since you are not in school, it is great that you are still do what you can by joining a learning community and reading articles. Your website looks great. You have a very nice set up and starting point. Your students will greatly enjoy using the classroom website; they always manage to find the games! I think the links portion can be overwhelming. There are so many valuable resources out there that it is hard to narrow it down or pin point the most valuable ones, without having this be overpowering. I’m sure you will figure out the video that is one thing about technology; you are bound to have some experience with malfunctioning. I like your idea of adding a place to feature student work. Hopefully your district will allow you to post it online. You will probably have to have a consent form from parents, but I’m sure the students would be ecstatic seeing their work online.
Kelsey
Kara,
ReplyDeleteI think you have done an excellent job on your webpage. I like how you have made categories for your students to choose their links from.
I understand the daunting task of going through all of the resources available and choosing the ones that work best for you and your students.
I agree with Kelsey, I like the idea about you posting students' work on your website. I think it could be a great confidence booster for your students and parents.
Good job.
Betty