Friday, August 16, 2013

End of Summer Reflection


During this course, I developed a personal GAME plan, and created a rather intensive Unit Plan including problem-based learning, social (or rather, educational) networking, and digital storytelling in first grade mathematics lessons.  At this beginning of this course, I would have said it was impossible to engage first grade students in such activities.  However, now, I believe that with clear expectations, modeling, and scaffolding as needed, students are able to rise to and even exceed our expectations. 

 

Cennamo, Ross, and Ertmer (2009) state, “As in any self-directed learning activity, you need to set goals for your own professional growth, take action, then monitor and evaluate your progress toward obtaining your goals” (p. 11).  While I have never had a problem having goals, I struggle on the follow through.  I have a ton of ideas—so many that I frequently jump back and forth between ideas and never truly complete one to it’s full potential.   However, by creating my GAME plan, I was forced to create a plan of action, and was actually able to stick to it. I have now learned to prioritize and break larger goals down into more manageable steps.  I keep reminding myself that it is better to do one thing really well than three things mediocre.  As a result, I have actually completely re-vamped my teacher web-site and am excited to introduce it to parents and students this school year.  It even has a new URL—you can view it here: https://sites.google.com/a/parklandsd.net/geigerls/home.  It is still a work in progress as I plan to add resources as they become applicable throughout the year, but I think it will be a great way for me to communicate with parents and stress the importance of these new literacy skills.  (I’m still waiting on the finishing updates in my classroom before I update the video—that should be done by next Wednesday!)

 

I am excited for the upcoming school year as I feel like the information I have gleaned from this course (and the other technology course I have been taking, Supporting Information Literacy and Online Inquiry in the Classroom) have provided me with wonderful resources, and an attainable way to improve my teaching practice, one step at a time.  Most importantly, I think I have learned new ways of looking at technology, past all of the “fun stuff” and “pretty stuff” and truly into the 21st century literacies students truly need to master in order to become productive members of society.  There are many lesson that I do throughout the year that I am excited to strengthen and scaffold with technology—most frequently in the area of writing, but in other areas as well.  In the end, Ertmer (Laureate Education, Inc., 2010) states that integrating technology effectively requires knowledge of technology, knowledge of pedagogy, confidence, beliefs about good teaching, and a supportive culture.  I have always had a supportive culture and beliefs about good teaching, but this course has given me the tools and training I needed to become knowledgeable about integrating the technology in with the standards, and the confidence to know it will succeed (and if not, to always have a back-up plan just in case!). 

 

References:

Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom

use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA:

Wadsworth, Cengage Learning. Video: Promoting creative thinking with technology

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2010). Enriching content area learning experiences with technology, part one [Video webcast]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu/webapps/portal/frameset

                .jsp?tab_tab_group_id=_2_1&url=%2Fwebapps%2Fblackboard%2Fexecute%2Flauncher%3Ftype%3DCourse%26id%3D_3397615_1%26url%3D

No comments:

Post a Comment