Cennamo (Laureate Education, Inc., 2010) emphasizes the importance of being a self-directed learner when it comes to technology, since everything changes so rapidly. In order to be a self-directed learner (or teacher), there is a four-step process: (1) set Goals, (2) determine what Action you are going to take, (3) Monitor your progress, and (4) Evaluate what went well and what did not. This results in having a GAME plan. To this day, I can still hear my high school swim coach telling me, “It is easy to get lost if you don’t know where you’re going.” Although at the time, it was applied in an athletic manner, it can easily be applied to many other facets of life, included self-directed learning.
Thus,
I have decided to develop my own GAME plan to improve my teaching by selecting
two indicators from the National Education Standards for Teachers (NETS-T)
developed by the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE). First off, I am going to work in standard 1b,
“Engage students in exploring real-world issues and solving authentic problems
using digital tools and resources” (International Society for Technology in
Education, 2008, p. 1). Secondly, I
would like to improve on standard 3b, “Collaborate with students, peers,
parents, and community members using digital tools and resources to support
student success and innovation” (International Society for Technology in
Education, 2008, p. 1).
In
order to achieve these goals, I plan to take action. In order to make standard 1b attainable, I am
going to focus on the area of mathematics in begin. Next school year, in each unit of study, I am
going to embed at least one authentic problem-solving task using digital tools
for my students. Even though all of my
students have an identified disability, King-Sears and Evmenova (2007) state
that, “technology must be part of students’ instructional programs because the
students’ futures will require proficiency in technological skills” (p.
7). In order to meet standard 3b, I am
going to update my web-site at least once per week to post information, resources,
and open communication with students, parents, and community members. By adding these resources at least once a
week, I eventually strive to have my own database of resources that students
and parents can use for additional practice outside of school.
The
next step of my GAME plan is to monitor progress. I do not feel that simply giving students a
problem to solve will serve justice to ensure that the standard is being met,
so I am going to use two forms of assessment.
In order to monitor progress of myself (and my students), I will use a
rubric to track student progress on authentic learning tasks as they become
more acclimated to digital tools. In
meeting standard 3b, I simply will track the number of posts/resources I post,
along with the number of connections with students, peers, parents, and
community members using digital tools.
Finally,
I need to evaluate my progress. I will
track the progress of my authentic learning tasks through the rubrics and a
reflective journal. Additionally, I
will look at the posts on my web-page and evaluate how many students I have
reached outside of school through informal student and parent interviews. As a result, I will adjust accordingly, most
likely leading me to my next goal and GAME plan!
References:
International Society for Technology
in Education. (2008). National education standards
for teachers
(NETS-T). Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/standards/nets-for-
teachers
King-Sears,
M., & Evmenova, A. S. (2007). Premises, principles, and processes for
integrating technology into instruction. Teaching Exceptional Children, 40(1),
6–14.
Laureate
Education, Inc. (Producer). (2010). Promoting
self-directed learning with technology [Video webcast]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu/webapps/portal/frameset.jsp?tab_tab_group_id=_2_1&url=%2Fwebapps%2Fblackboard%2Fexecute%2Flauncher%3Ftype%3DCourse%26id%3D_3397615_1%26url%3D

Kara,
ReplyDeleteI agree “It is easy to get lost if you don’t know where you’re going” can be applied to many different situations. It is beneficial to the students that you are going to embed at least one authentic problem-solving task using digital tools for my students, even though all of my students have an identified disability. I think back how much of an impact technology has had just in the last few years; I can only imagine what it will be in the future. What do you think will be your biggest challenge will be embedding at least one authentic problem-solving task using digital tools for your students? It would be great for you to have your own database of resources that students and parents can use for additional practice outside of school. Rubrics along with tracking the number of posts/resources you post, along with the number of connections with students, peers, parents, and community members using digital tools will help defiantly help you to monitor progress. Rubrics and a reflective journal will give you a good insight on being able to evaluate and extend your learning and lean toward your next GAME Plan.
Kelsey
Kelsey,
DeleteThank you for your input. I think my biggest challenge is going to be finding time. There's so much to cover in a short time period of time that time is always my biggest enemy. However, I am hoping with the implementation of Common Core, I am given more time to cover concepts, especially in the area of mathematics. As teams began to look at how our old curriculum aligns with the new standards, at the kindergarten and first grade level literally half of the chapters are eliminated and not introduced until students have a very strong number sense base. I just hope that the time in those young grades is devoted to doing such and not by "fluffy" activities!
Kara
Kara,
ReplyDeleteFinding ways to get students work with real-world authentic tasks is a way students become part of the lesson. They see importance and therefore tend to spend a little more time working with it.
Using rubrics is a great tool to use as a reference for keeping track of tasks completed. It also allows for students to see your expectations and where they could perform a little bit better.
Keeping a journal is a great way for you to see your own progress. It allows you to go back and reflect on your successes and possible areas for improvement.
It looks like you have a great GAME plan started.
How will you know if parents and students have accessed the posts/resources you have put on your website?
Betty Smazenko
Betty,
DeleteSince there is no true way to tell how many students and parents are accessing the resources, I am going to have to rely on my communication with them to track that. Students are typically very honest in whether they did something or not at home.
The idea actually began through talking to numerous parents in IEP meetings. Many parents want to help their child at home, but have no idea how to teach decoding and/or comprehension skills. Especially when working with students with disabilities, 'cracking the code' does not come naturally and they need explicit instruction from as many sources as possible in order to succeed!
Kara