Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Cooperative Learning and Social Learning Theories


Cooperative learning and social learning intertwine perfectly and both are critical for student success in the 21st century.  Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, and Malenoski (2007) stress that we are living during a time where learning and innovation are becoming increasingly global; thus, students must be able to work cooperatively in order for them to be prepared for the workforce they will inherit. Similarly, Dr. Orey (Laureate Education, Inc., 2011) defines situated cognition as the need to be able to apply learned information into new constructs.  Students need to be able to apply their learning to unique situations, which has led to the implementation of project/problem-based learning (along with cooperative learning and social learning). 

 

Social learning theory relies on two different understandings: the zone of proximal development and the more knowledgeable other.  The Zone of Proximal Development (ZPD) was developed by Vygotsky and is based upon what a child is able to learn at a given time.  Below the zone is information the child already knows, and above the zone are concepts that the child is not ready to learn yet, even with significant support.  Social learning should target knowledge that is in the ZPD.  Children are able to learn and master information that is in the ZPD by interacting with a more knowledgeable other, which can be a parent, teacher, or a computer.  Through interacting and applying knowledge, what a student can do with support today, they will be able to do on their own tomorrow (or within a given time period).   Below is a image depicting the zone of proximal development.  Ironically, as I was looking for an illustration, I found that 90% of them rely on the teacher to bridge the gap created by the ZPD.  However, cooperative learning theory lies on the foundation that the teacher is a facilitator and while the teacher plays a role, the peers also play an important role in learning. 

 

Through the use of cooperative learning, students are able to interact with others to gain knowledge.   There are many unique ways of using cooperative learning groups and include (but are not limited to): pair-share, jigsaw, split-class discussion, random groups of 3, ability/interest groups, diversity groups, and multi-aged groups (Palmer, Peters, & Streetman, 2003).  Cooperative groups increase student engagement, and motivate students to achieve high standards. 

 

The use of social media, word processing devices, web resources, communication software, and multimedia can help increase the ability of groups to work together and enhance the products they are able to create.  Pitler et al. state, “Technology can play a unique and vital role in cooperative learning by facilitating group collaboration, providing structure for group tasks, and allowing members of groups to communicate even if they are not working face to face (p. 140). 

 

Technology even plays an important role in social learning among adults.  Frequently, I find myself discussing something that I saw on Facebook with others, or sharing a lesson idea I found on Pinterest with a colleague.  Blogs have become a great resource for educators to share resources and things that have worked and have not worked in the classroom.


References:

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2011). Program eight: Social learning theories [Video webcast]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Retrieved from http://laureate.ecollege.com/ec/crs/default.learn?CourseID=5700267&CPURL=laureate.ecollege.com&Survey=1&47=2594577&ClientNodeID=984650&coursenav=0&bhcp=1

Palmer, G., Peters, R., & Streetman, R. (2003).  Cooperative learning.  In M. Orey (Ed.).,

Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology.  Retrieved 18


Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom

instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

3 comments:

  1. Kara,
    I can't believe how much Pinterest and teacher blogs have changed my teaching even in the past year or so. I find myself getting great ideas from teacher blogs that I follow or on Teachers Pay Teachers. I really feel that the field is changing, for the better, with collaboration among teachers. Especially with the Common Core State Standards, teachers are able to use shared assessments and units just by typing the standard into Google, and you have so many resources at your fingertips! I believe this type of collaboration is only going to increase and I am very excited to see where it goes. Very well written post!
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily,

    I agree that this type of collaboration is definitely changing the field for the better. Not only is it making our lives easier, but it's providing students with enhanced resources. Teachers are encouraged to collaborate on topics and lesson ideas just like we ask our students to collaborate!

    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire the useful facts you offer inside your articles. I will bookmark your weblog and also have my children verify up here often. I’m very sure they’ll learn a lot of new things right here than anybody else! famoid for buying instagram followers

    ReplyDelete